Finally, they click Regenerate to populate the Category with the matching Products, then rebuild the product search index so the category and products appear on the website.
Dynamic Categories use rules to determine if products are or are not displayed on its category page. The Rules Engine cycles through of a set of rules and statements resolving as either True or False, then returns the appropriate values to the Dynamic Category.
Hero Tools offers many different types of products, from circular saws and grinders to spare parts. To help their users find deals, they want to create a category to list all products priced at $20 or less.
They create a category in the Admin Console called "$20 or Less." Then, they make it a Dynamic Category by accessing the Category’s Products finger tab and toggling the Use Dynamic Rules toggle to YES.
At the top of the screen, they choose to match All of the following rules, because this use case only requires one rule to accomplish the objective.
The new rule finds all products priced at $20 or less. To create this rule, they choose Product Fields as the Rule Type. Then, they select Basic List Price as the Source Data Field. They select Based On Range, enter 0 as the Minimum Value, and 20 as the Maximum Value.
These steps show how to create and implement a new dynamic category.
- Go to Admin Console > Catalog > Categories.
- Using the Website selector menu, in the Category list toolbar, select the targeted Website.
- Click Add New Category to create a new Category.
- Add a Name, Category Title, URL Segment, and Activate On to the Category.
- Save the newly created Category by clicking Save.
- Click the Products finger tab.
- Ensure the Use Dynamic Rules toggle reflects Yes.
- Select the Rule Type from the drop-down.
- Configure the rule using the contextual Source Data Table and Fields.
- If there are more rules that you wish to create, repeat steps 9-10.
- Click Save to save the new rule.
- Click Regenerate.
- In the Primary Navigation, go to Marketing > Indexing.
- In the Category section, click Full Rebuild to rebuild the newly created category.
- Click the Product section, click Partial Rebuild to rebuild the website's product search index and make it so products are visible and searchable.
Updated 16 days ago