Notification listeners allow you to programmatically observe and act on various events that occur within the SDK. Notification listeners:
- Give you flexibility in implementing custom integrations with analytics provider.
- Enable integrations by passing data to external services.
Here are a few examples for using notification listeners:
- Send data to an analytics service and report feature flag decision data, for example, report that user_123 was assigned to variation A.
- Use SDK events to send alerts to data monitoring tools like New Relic and Datadog to better visualize how A/B tests affect service-level metrics.
- Pass all events to an external data tier, like a data warehouse, for additional processing and to leverage business intelligence tools.
- Re-initialize your SDK to retrieve updated feature flag configuration data for your business-critical features.
The listeners work by triggering a callback function that you define and provide at runtime.
The following methods or lifecycle events trigger notification listeners if you have implemented the listener:
|Method||Notification listener invoked|
|Activate||In SDKs released Feb 2019 and earlier: Invokes the ACTIVATE notification listener if the user is included in an active A/B test.|
In SDKs released after Feb 2019: Invokes the DECISION notification listener if this listener is enabled.
|Get Feature Variable||In SDKs v3.1 and later: Invokes the DECISION notification listener if this listener is enabled.|
|Track||Invokes the TRACK notification listener if this listener is enabled.|
Important! This method won't call the TRACK notification listener when the specified event key is invalid
|Get all feature variables||Invokes the DECISION notification listener if this listener is enabled.|
|Get variation||Invokes the DECISION notification listener if this listener is enabled.|
|Is Feature Enabled||Invokes the DECISION notification listener if this listener is enabled.|
Also invokes the ACTIVATE notification listener if the decision is the result of the visitor being included in an active feature test, and if this listener is enabled.
|Lifecycle event||Notification listener invoked|
|event batch flushed||Invokes the LOGEVENT notification listener if this listener is enabled|
|new datafile retrieved||Invokes the OPTIMIZELYCONFIGUPDATE notification listener if this listener is enabled.|
Updated 11 months ago