Optimizely decided to build a base platform that would allow for individual sites to be created quickly with better performance and with an supported upgradability, B2B Commerce Cloud has progressed through many iterations. The following describes B2B Commerce Cloud's developments added in the last few versions:
This release lets you launch your website solution in a SaaS-based, fully-hosted, PCI-compliant environment managed by Insite. See the website for more on general cloud functionality and the InsiteHelp for B2B Commerce Cloud Cloud support site for more information.
- Review the 4.4 release announcement: B2B Commerce Cloud Self-Managed SDK v4-4 Release Announcement
- Review SDK Release Notes
B2B Commerce Cloud 4 has been significantly re-engineered using a modern, scalable service architecture laying the foundation to power the next generation connected commerce platform for complex B2B interactions. Key to the success of this platform is our ability to prescribe the extension points to allow for easy and quick upgrades - combining the flexibility and extensibility of a platform while facilitating the rapid and seamless functional enhancements you need in today's rapidly changing environment.
With its lean, service-oriented technology stack and modular design, B2B Commerce Cloud can be operated on a reduced IT footprint or scaled at enterprise levels to optimize overall infrastructure spend and reduce total cost of ownership. Combined with the widely familiar Microsoft.Net development environment, the platform can be operated as a turn-key responsive application handling the complexities of today's commerce demands or alternatively serves as a modern, highly extensible development platform that can be flexibly used to realize our client's specific business requirements. Whether you are looking to enter the commerce space with an out-of-the-box solution, re-platform outdated technology, or to build highly specialized commerce scenarios to protect your competitive advantage in this fast moving ecosystem, the B2B Commerce Cloud platform provides the agility and scalability that your business requires to compete.
In the remainder of this document, we discuss the technical underpinnings, architecture and tool choices of B2B Commerce Cloud to provide Architects, Developers, and technical decision makers with the necessary information required for evaluating B2B Commerce Cloud.
The following describes the current and future releases of B2B Commerce Cloud 4.x:
- SEO Enhancements
- Integration Improvements
- Improved Notifications, Monitoring, Retry, and so on
- API Updates
- inRiver Integration
- 4.x Migration Enhancements
4.2 Management Console Redesign
- Modern "Front-end" Architecture
- Responsive Design for Tablets
- New Taxonomy
- Improved Feature Discovery & Usability
- Integrated Contextual Help and Training
- Improved "Guard Rails"
- Streamlined Bulk Data Loading/Editing
4.2 Search Enhancements
- Easy to Use Business User Interface for Configurations
- Enhanced Facet Configurations - Swatches, Custom Ranges, Sliders, and so on
- Sponsored Search
- Content search - Supporting docs and auxiliary content (help and custom pages)
- Search suggestions - "You might like"
- Refine within search results
- Usability enhancements - results logic, results layout, search form, results sorting
4.2 Miscellaneous Enhancements
The B2B Commerce Cloud platform offers digital commerce services through REST (Representational State Transfer) endpoints. The services provide a "facade" to the application, allowing developers to add new functionality without impacting upgrades. Services are versioned to provide modularity and backward compatibility. The business logic for these services is centralized allowing reuse of common logic, such as the card, regardless of where it is used.
B2B Commerce Cloud is built with the latest technologies and libraries available to the web today.
Performance and Scalability
With the introduction of the RESTful services, we also support Entity Tag (ETag) caching which is a standard part of the HTTP protocol that browsers support. This caching approach takes a significant load off of the server, lessens the load of data moving back and forth and improves the user experience. There are also resources cached locally for settings, language and currency information that help lessen the load from page to page, keeping the same content context in scope through the site experience.
Administrative REST API's
Integrate Common Client Extensions
Buying Experience Usability Improvements (Phase 1)
Advanced SEO Enhancements
You can find corresponding videos for the following features and functions in the 4.3.1 Announcement
- List Management
- Search Enhancements
- Improved Guest Experience
- CMS Product Widgets
- Restriction Group Management
The 4.4 release focuses on improving the experience of the business user to manage their digital platform and enhance the B2B end-user experience.
- Cloud (SaaS) Deployment Capability
- Always up-to-date
- Scalable, hosted, PCI-DSS compliant, cloud environment
- Improved Front-End Capabilities - Themes and widgets can be managed via the Admin Console
- CMS page variants
- Multiple product images
- Improved print and email options for order and invoice history pages
- Single-Page-Application model to reduce page load times
- Real-time pricing plug-in and supporting UI/UX enhancements
- Improved inventory messaging
- Remember Me- customer pricing and catalog shown when returning to the website
- Cart persists across devices for logged in users
- Enabled requested delivery date option during checkout
- Several improvements to the Admin Console
- Merged Application and Website Settings into one page, and added user-friendly naming and tooltips
- Improved security by splitting Users into two groups: Website Users and Console Users
- Improved "Forgot Password" workflow for the storefront/website
- cXML Order Processing Enhancements
- Enable building of custom tables in Cloud
- Additional CMS extension points:
- Custom page templates
- Create new page types
- Improved extensibility of MainLayout page
- Ability to create Custom Content creators
- The following are the new articles to help with understanding CMS extensibility:
- A CDN option has been added for Cloud customers
Enable dynamic variant testing & track the results of the test
- Added revenue and lines per visitor metrics
- Added a graph showing a comparison of all metrics for each variant to get an overall picture of A/B testing results
- Added clean-up of A/B testing data to the nightly maintenance routine
- Configure search boost/bury by Customer Segments
- Dynamically assign Customer Segments to a guest/new user based on online activity
This release introduced a name change, where "Personas" are now called "Customer Segments".
See Customer Segments for more details.
- Analyzing customer sales data, display dynamic product recommendations
- Top Sellers carousel type- Targeted for use on the Home page or Category pages
- Customers also Bought carousel type- Targeted for use on the Product Detail and Cart pages
- Bulk publishing functionality to make multiple changes to content and products, then preview it before moving it all to production at one time
- Future publish with rollback functionality to publish content automatically on a future date, and then optionally revert updated content to its previous version on a specified date
- Allow users to export content from one environment and import into another environment. For example, you can start a site locally or in Sandbox then push it to Production for the first time or copy Production content down to Sandbox for content parity.
See Copy Content Between Websites for more details.
One-time ship-to address functionality has been available since the September 2018 release. See One-Time Ship-To Address for more details.
Enable the Shop by Brands feature on your B2B Commerce Cloud website to allow your customers to quickly focus their search for products on a brand they know and trust. The brands feature also allows merchandisers to manage a brand's identity, for example by featuring or boosting specific brands on the website.
Enable the shop by brand/manufacturer taxonomy easily
Create shop by brand/manufacturer landing and category pages
Add product lines to brands to extend the product hierarchy
Define brand/manufacturer imagery on brand and product detail pages and widgets
Added brand as first attribute that displays on product detail pages
Exposed product line assignment field on product details page in the Admin Console
Improved SEO and the consistency of the Brands URL root for Brands and Brands List pages
Updated logic to not select category images from parent categories with no assigned products on Brand detail pages
Added a Brand gallery widget to include on the Brands page via the CMS
Added a brand name display column in the order confirmation email
Added Brand and Product Line options to the table view of Product list
Added the ability to boost product lines in search results
Added the ability to boost brands in search results
See Brands and Product Lines for more details.
Will-Call and Store Pickup functionality has been available since the September 2018 release. See Will-Call and Store Pickup for more details.
- Updated order confirmation email, quote, site messages and various admin console screens to reflect pickup language if fulfillment method is pick-up
- Improved the Pickup Selection widow behavior and functionality and updated how selected warehouse displays on the page and map
- Added clean-up of one-time ship-to addresses to the nightly maintenance routine
- Schedule an email reminder for any list a user has access to
See Schedule Email Reminders for List Reordering for more details.
- Configure countries that should not be able to access site
See Creating and Assigning Countries and States for more details.
Setting to enable feature and to determine when to send the email
Users can opt out of email reminders
See Send Abandoned Cart Email Reminders for more details.
Manage lists from Admin Console and assign to multiple Bill-To Customers
Improved lists to allow users without edit permissions on a list to change the quantity and add to cart, but not alter the list entry
Exposed updated saved quantity message for anyone with edit/owner permissions on all lists
Improved experience when updating quantity in a list
Duplicated the list action buttons to appear at the bottom of each page
Added button to lists to allow users to finish adjusting sort order and hide sort functionality
Added the ability to add custom quantities of an item on a a list to my cart, without updating the quantities on a shared list
Updated the sort behavior when reordering lists on the storefront
Added a tooltip when users cannot edit a list
Cloud: Using TokenEx for card vault/tokenization; when using a "saved card," an authorization transaction is executed and the resulting authorization data is available for order submission (that is not card token)
Extended existing TokenEx API to include CVV-only mode
Updated the Storefront API for Saved Credit Cards
Added fields to UserPaymentProfile table to save address information for saved credit cards
SDK: Partners and customers can leverage saved card UI/UX, but for card tokenization they can create their own TokenEx account or develop integration to the specific payment gateways vault
Created a setting to enable the option to save credit cards
Modified tooltip text for Enable Saved Credit Card setting
Added the option to add and manage a new credit card to the My Saved Payments page in My Account
Added the ability to review saved payment information from the My Saved Payments page in My Account
Added the ability to save credit cards during checkout or complete the checkout process with a saved credit card
See Saved Credit Cards for more details.
- Improved experience for adding child products using Quick Order form. When attempting to add a variant parent via quick order, the user will be prompted to select the variant options in order to add the correct item to the quick order form
- Updated the Quick Order page to add Quick Order widget functionality for quantity and unit of measure
- Updated display settings so items most recently added to a Quick Order list now appear at the top of the list
- Adjusted the Quick Order form so most recently added products appear first, then this order reverses when added to cart
- Adjusted Quick Order so it is not accessible unless the user is able to Add to Cart
See Overview of Quick Order for more details.
- Improved search results for multi-word synonyms
- Updated the Index ERP Numbers to allow ignoring non-alphanumeric characters
- Added the option to disable AutoCorrect or Did You Mean settings without turning off suggested search
- Added a setting to include or exclude Part Number from the Search AutoCorrect
- Implemented Ngram search for partial matches on ERP Numbers and Manufacturer Items
When searching for a child variant part number, users will be auto-directed to the Product Detail Page with variant options preselected
When a child variant product is in a cart and the user clicks on it, they will be directed to the Product Detail Page with the variant option preselected
See Overview of Product Variants for more details.
B2B Commerce Cloud 3.5
B2B Commerce Cloud 3.6
B2B Commerce Cloud 3.7
Updated about 1 month ago